Monday, June 1, 2009

I Have a lot to Say on Monday.

This weekend did in fact lead to a lot of indoor time (it's still grey out today and it doesn't look as though it's going to ease up). But I still managed to squeeze in a late night party at a friend's that ended in us lying on her lawn in the backyard giggling at the stars, a nice morning reading in the coffee shop near my house, a beautiful St. Vincent show (at which I met her! and got a picture! I'll post when I upload it), a great dinner with friends at a wonderful restaurant, a bit of a dance party, a bonfire in my backyard and a trip to two of my favorite bookstores to buy a lot of books.

I also finished two books and it felt really nice to have allowed myself some serious reading time. Now if I could only do that for writing. I think this weather is bringing out the desire to read and write and contemplate. Something I did a lot more of when I lived in Oregon, so maybe there really is something to that idea. It feels nice, but also a little overwhelming as in "wait, I don't have time for all this!" For instance, tonight I secretly want to lock myself up in my apartment and finish the book I'm reading, but I know I will actually feel much better if I keep my dinner plans with the boy at friends' house.

This is a very wordy post. Again, I blame this:

One of the books I picked up was a biography I've been meaning to read for ages, randomly thought of it while I was out, and managed to find at the used bookstore (which has a wide range of books, but selection is a little spotty) for $9!
I'm really eager to get started. These women seem utterly fascinating.

Being the biography nerd that I am, I also picked up William J. Mann's "Kate," and it looks as though it will be a wonderful book. I tend to forget how much I admire Katherine Hepburn until I am reminded of the first time I saw "The Philadelphia Story" and how my jaw dropped at her first utterances. She really was such a fantastic actor. This is from one of my favorite scenes:

Oh my, I really must stop myself. I can't seem to shut up today. I have about 12 more things to say as well, but I'll leave it for later.

Listening to Margot & the Nuclear So and So's.

No comments:

Post a Comment