Monday, March 23, 2009

Wallpaper and Collage Inspire Me Again

Having just moved, my mind has been focused on decorating. After a few years of never feeling like home in my apartment, I really want to make this space, well, mine. I'm looking everywhere for inspiration, and because I have such a hodgepodge of colors, eras, sizes and shapes of art and furniture items, and because I just love it, collage is a huge inspiration for me. That's why I was pleased to stumble upon Stephanie Levy. The way she incorporates interior design into collage is stylish and fun. Her sense of color is poppy and playful and I really love just looking at her work. Plus, she's got me thinking about piecing together color connections to find a focus.












I also love her "Wallpaper" series. If you've read this blog before, you might know I'm a huge fan of vintage wallpaper, and of course, I love to see it incorporated in this way.



Another excellent use of vintage wallpaper (and collage) comes from Claire Coles. She finds vintage wallpapers then cuts, layers and machine stitches them to create different scenes and illustrations.




Aside from wallpaper, she makes adorable accessories such as these bird brooches:
And my favorite of her work, her porcelain, in which she inlays each piece with patterns of doilies and flocked wallpaper. Gorgeous:




Listening to The Entrance Band.

No comments:

Post a Comment