Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Stone Writing. lithos grapho.

Today's post combines three things I love: the design eras Art Nouveau through Art Deco, posters and lithography/printmaking.

I was recently gifted a screen printing setup, and I have been studying some of my favorite posters for inspiration on how to begin. Posters have been used for a variety of purposes since they came into wide use in the 19th century--from cultural (books, plays, operas), to products (spirits, cigarettes, soap), to propaganda during WWI and WWII. They fell out of popularity when TV and radio provided new advertising platforms, but a steady appreciation for them as an art form has developed, and reprints of classic posters are used widely for decorative purposes. Although I hate to incorporate trendy, mass-produced decorative elements, I just can't resist the posters of the Nouveau era. Lately, however, I've been noticing well designed posters advertising bands and shows, and I know indie music has been a sort of underground platform of our day for some of the most amazing posterwork. I think tomorrow (preview!) I will show some of my favorite contemporary posters (and possibly printers), but for today, I'm taking us to the Fathers of the art (sadly, ladies are very underrepresented). Enjoy.


Jules Cheret, 1895. I looooove this poster. She just looks so cheerfully defiant. Cheret was the first to print mass posters in color and was (I believe) the inventor of the 3-stone lithography method. Or at least first put it to wide use.


↑ Cheret, 1896. I have a big copy of this in my kitchen--couldn't resist.


↑ Henri Toulouse-Lautrec, 1891.


↑ Toulouse-Lautrec. I don't believe this was a poster, but I just think it's fantastic!


↑ Leonetto Cappiello, 1900.


↑ Leonetto Cappiello.


↑ Lucian Bernhard, 1914. Bold and delicious!


↑ Bernhard. Simple, classic.

Another thing about Bernhard, he created typefaces. Look how awesome this one is:



↑ A.M. Cassandre. Strong, clean, commanding.


Listening to Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, who, by the way, have an amazing poster by Garrett Karol:

No comments:

Post a Comment