Thursday, February 19, 2009

Feeling Fashionly

Well...yesterday's post kind of got away from me, mostly because I simply could not find the images I was looking for. Today's should be a little longer...

New York's Fashion Week is wrapping up, and from what I saw, there were some very diverse collections. Of course, everyone is talking about the throwback to the 80s and the shoulders--oh my the shoulders--going on at the Marc Jacobs show. I really liked the dark, plain colors juxtaposed with the vibrant neon featured in both MJ and Michael Kors. Although each collection featured color in different ways. At MK, color served more as electric shocks punctuating lines of classic neutrals, while at MJ colors moved through the show to a bright energetic climax that cooled out again in the end. While I wasn't a huge fan of the entire collection, oh how much do I want this Marc Jacobs dress? ↓


This will definitely expose my nonadventurous fashion spirit (and by this I mean I tend to be old fashioned and fairly monochromatic), but I loved Erin Fetherston's colletion. I first learned of Fetherston when she designed a line for Target, and although her shapes aren't particularly innovative, I am really drawn to the feminine simplicity and playful attitude of these pieces. I can envision myself as an updated Victorian teacher, who instead of going to tea and teaching French to rich children is going out for wine and speaking French with her sophisticated friends. And I must find some of those striped tights!





All these fashion updates got me thinking about making my own clothes (it's something I really wish I knew how to do), which got me thinking about dress patterns and how I used to watch my mother sew clothes for me when I was little. Anyway, here are some dress patterns I found (running from the 1930s-1970s) that I think, with a few updates (higher hems, edgier necklines, etc.) would be really fun to try out:











Also, am I nuts for loving these? ↓
I think that with the right fabric, they could be really amazing. and not in a (shudder) Gauchos kind of way blech.

Also, for kicks, I'm adding these fun patterns because I want them!




(All patterns found at the amazing Vintage Martini).

No comments:

Post a Comment