Friday, January 30, 2009

Revolutionary Road

I saw Revolutionary Road last night. and. oh. my. It was a deep, beautiful, intense, gripping, wonderful movie. I can understand why it got snubbed Oscar-wise though. I think its messages are such that Americans would have a hard time wanting to relate to them, although, ironically, the themes hit so deeply close to home. I think people, especially as most are watching their American Dream crumble away down the Housing Crisis/Credit Crunch Rabbit Hole, don't want to be faced with questions about how fulfilling that Dream really is.

As April points out in the film, "The truth is constant, everybody knows the truth; it is the lies that take practice and eventually we become good liars to everyone, including ourself." (not sure this is an exaclty accurate quote) Just as the character who represents truth in the film lives on the fringes of "normal" society and tends to incite either discomfort or anger, this film, perhaps, struck similar chords.

I'm still musing over the themes, still picturing the beauty and graceful visual execution and the remarkable, remarkable performance by Kate Winslet. I connected and identified with her more than I have with any film character, thanks to her ability to let you fully in. She deserves every accolade. I'm also thinking about how grateful I am to have learned that you have to be your own ticket to your dreams, and I'm glad to live in a time when women can more easily act on that idea. Although another element to the idea of walking your own path is pointed out by Richard Yates, the author of the novel: "If my work has a theme, I suspect it is a simple one: that most human beings are inescapably alone, and therein lies their tragedy."

I thought I would look up some of the cultural messages via ads and articles from 1955 (when the film takes place) to get a sense of what the American Dream looked like then. Here's what I found:

This ad is for feminine hygene products and is sort of tragic.


"1955 sees dramatic increases in the sales of home appliances, new homes, and televisions."



It's sort of rare these days to see men in cosmetics ads. I think the messages have changed from pleasing your man to looking good for everyone in a "the whole world's a stage" kind of way. Max Factor's slogan is now "The Makeup of Makeup Artisits," as if we're all moments from being a star.


"By 1954 54% of American homes had television sets." I love how these two wear party clothes to watch tv in their prisitine, white home.


Look good for the neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment