Thursday, January 22, 2009

In light of the Oscar Nominations...

Well, the Oscar nominations came out today and I realized that sadly, I have seen none of the films nominated in the big categories. This got me thinking about film in general and how little I have taken in lately. And I love film. I think I need to solve this problem, and that is why I am going to the movies tonight and probably pretty regularly until February 22. Although I still don't know how excited I am about any of the nominations this year. Anyway, this got me on a film kick and I've been active on the Criterion website today, looking for films I want to watch. While this won't hlp me with my Oscar nominee knowledge, it will make me excited about film again, something I knew was missing the last time someone asked me what my favorite movie is and I couldn't remember. Eesh.

I only got about ankle-deep into the site and here is my huge list so far:
Who Are You, Polly Maggoo?
F for Fake
Fishing With John
Charade (now, of course I've seen this, but the Crtiterion one promises it in all it's Technicolor glory (or as close as they can get) so I need to see this version)
I hope it in some way harnesses the cool that is the Japanese poster, because I love this:

Contempt
Elena and Her Men
The Red Shoes
Summertime
The Fire Within
Hiroshima Mon Amour
The Lovers
Diabolique
High and Low
Le Samourai
The Third Man
The Taking of Power by Louis XIV
A Woman is a Woman

Listening to Beirut, whose new double EP is out soon. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment