Monday, January 26, 2009

Bitch Magazine

I'm moving house soon, and I've been thinking about all the things I need to do to prepare. Some things are more exciting than others--bleaching shower tile grout and filling in nail holes make the procrastinator in me suddenly take hold. On the more interesting list, however, are my magazine subscriptions. I've let them lapse lately because I am never home to receive them, but I foresee a lot of lovely Sunday mornings in my new kitchen, reading some of my favorite magazines. First on my renewal list: Bitch magazine. The magazine tags itself "A Feminist Reponse to Pop Culture," and while that is the main thrust of the magazine, I consistently find wonderful social commentary, calls to action, thoughtful dialogue and a sense of intelligent fun that take this magazine to a new level. It reaches beyond pop culture, feminism, girl-centricism (centric-ness?), and is the only "women's" magazine I devour from cover to cover. I've been reading since college, and hope it stays around, because I plan on reading as long as it's here. I mean, how can you NOT love a magazine that quotes Rebecca West in its "About Us" section?

When I bought the new issue it solidified my love for this magazine. They did a Noir issue! Ah, Bitch, how I love thee. Please buy and read the article on Twilight. If only more young women read Bitch...

No comments:

Post a Comment