Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Gender Roles, Anyone?

Whew! That was a long break, and I have to say, I did not like it. One would think by my absence that I do not like the holidays, but it is in fact the opposite and I was too involved in holiday mayhem to blog. That's over now, however, and it is time again to relax and breathe deep and keep getting inspired by the people out there in internet land.

My thoughts have been a little chaotic, so bear with me, this is another string-of-randomness-led-me-here post.

SO, I was catching up on reading magazines I never have time for anymore and my favorite on that list is Bitch. One of the many things I love about this magazine is that it leads me to think of gender roles in new and interesting ways, and to think about the ways in which the culture around me influences who I am as a person. I am not a hard-core believer in nurture vs. nature--I think we are fascinatingly complex mixtures of both--but I do believe that we don't always realize how much the little things in our life shape who we are and how we behave.

I think it is a good idea once in a while to think about what it is we are surrounding ourselves with, what those things (and people) say about us, and how they influence our behavior and image of ourselves. Also, how have our lives been shaped since before we were old enough to really know what we wanted in life? How autonomous are we from societal influence? ... That is why I find JoengMee Yoon's Pink & Blue Project amazing, amazing, amazing.










Listening to Lhasa de Sela. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment