Thursday, January 14, 2010

Expertise

It is a little late to be discussing New Year's resolutions, and I didn't really make any. I have vague ideas about the things I want to accomplish this year, but I didn't metaphorically set them in stone or even write them down.

I'm not going to do that now, either. But I am going to write down, right here, something I do wish to get back to this year. Studying. I used to be an obsessive researcher/studier. When I became interested in something, I devoured all the information I could on the topic. A few years ago it was an obsession with Louise Brooks. Lately I've just been halfheartedly interested in too many things. This year I want to become and "expert" on something.

Perhaps I'll document my progress here and share the knowledge, or maybe I'll end up doing that on my secret blog, either way, I am not going to remain afraid of the fact that this behavior can be (and has in the past been) socially isolating. I am a nerd. That's okay. I will just have to work harder to find other avenues in conversation. Unless I find someone else out there on the same path of study. You know, once I figure out what that path may be.

And...completely unrelated, although somewhat ironic given yesterday's post, my Etsy purchase came today. Hooray. I guess I'm not doing as well as I thought with self-restraint.




Listening to Theoretical Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment