Thursday, August 20, 2009

When Routine Becomes Rut.

So I realize I have, ahem, complained a lot lately about being quite busy, and although not much has changed, I have thought up a good way for me to get a little perspective and feel as though there is at least a tiny amount of creative activity happening.

While in London, I got so used to having my camera with me every day and tapping into that part of myself that is really curious about the world, attentive to detail and that loves loves loves finding beauty in things. So I have decided that although I'm feeling this drain of energy (the inevitable come-down after bursting with new sights/sounds/places/people/tastes/smells/weather/minute-by-minute sensations during my trip), I need to find a way to make the routine of daily responsible life feel a little bit out of the ordinary....

SO I've decided that for the next month I am going to take a photo a day during the time between when I wake up for work and when I return home to my front door. I just feel that I normally wake up, blearily stumble through the process of getting ready, drive half-listening to the radio half-stressing over (and I hate to admit, yelling at) other drivers, and then stumble up to work without seeing any of the world around me. And I get too focused during the day and forget to leave my desk. All in all, it's no way to live. That's why I'm doing this. To wake up my senses a little and to knock that soul-sucking routine for a loop. We'll see how successful this endeavor is.

Wish me luck.
Today's contribution:

Afternoon snack. I always get hungry about an hour before I leave work and usually have to snack, or the drive home can make me a tad cranky. Today was French bread with light Belgian butter. Would have been excellent with un cafe.

Listening to Au Revoir Simone.

No comments:

Post a Comment